Wednesday, January 16, 2013

My Word for 2013

Although I had planned on starting 2013 off by keeping up with my blog, I ended up getting the flu right after Christmas and was sick for two weeks. It just didn't want to let me get better. A lot of things have gone on in the past few months, too much to write about here. Nothing exciting but I just didn't blog when I should have.

I read a lot of books on mixed media art, art journaling, and techniques in art over the last few months. I've learned a lot and have used some of this new knowledge in my art. I plan on using more techniques in future art creations. There are so many great books out there, so many great artists sharing their knowledge. It's wonderful.

With the new year I noticed that so many people are not making resolutions, I thought this was great since I hate making resolutions with the new year because I seem to break them within a few months. I dread making them so when I noticed that instead of making resolutions, people were picking a word for the new year I was intrigued. I researched this new-to-me idea, I read blogs about it, and decided that picking a word for the year was for me! I didn't want to make those dreaded resolutions that I would just break anyway and instead started thinking about my word for 2013.

I love the idea of picking a word that I can focus on for the year, a word to invigorate your spirit and life. I chose a few words before settling on the one that felt right for me this year. The other words I thought about choosing just didn't quite inspire me. I kept going back to the past year and further then thinking about what word would work for me and I came up with the word: RELEASE. So far it seems to be a good fit for me and its already causing me to make changes. I chose it because I feel I tend to hold onto things - whether material or emotional - for too long, it's something I learned while growing up and it just isn't working for me.

[[[RELEASE: to set free from restraint, confinement or servitude; to free from something that binds or holds back, to let go; to relieve of suffering]]]

I've decided that with 2013 I'm going to stop giving too much attention to things that aren't important. I don't want to dwell on things from the past or even anything that happens in the present. I'm going to feel what I feel then let it go, not stew over it, not stoke the fire and make it bigger. I like this word for me and I am already seeing results in the short time I decided to make it my word for the year. I know it won't be easy, I know I have to make it my mantra and be vigilant about using it. I'm really going to focus on it, say it when I feel myself hanging onto something, I'm going post it where I can see it and make it apart of my life this year. I need this change, I'm ready to let things that bother me go and I want to be a better me.



Although I haven't been blogging I have still tried to keep up with creating art or at least with sketching. My muse has left me a few times over the last few months but thank goodness muse came back. Here are some owls I created for my friend Barb as her Christmas present.

1 comment:

  1. These owls are awesome. Are they for sale, by chance? My daughter and I are obsessed!

    ReplyDelete