Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Using Stencils or Masks in My Art Journal


This is a journal spread I did a few days ago. I created this one with a butterfly stencil and mask I made myself. I enjoy making my own stencils, I find images on-line, print them out, put a piece of clear acetate ontop (usually I use those 3-ring binder subject dividers, I had a bunch I bought for my kids that were not used), then cut them out with my handy dandy exacto knife. Sometimes I just use a cereal box, cut a square just the size I need, place packing tape over the square then use my exacto knife to cut out my image. I have made several stencils and masks myself and I love using them. I do buy stencils and really enjoy using those too - some things I just can't cut out myself, so I purchase them instead. This spread started out with me just trying out the butterfly stencil and mask after I finished cutting then went from there. I hadn't intended to make a journal page, the plan was to only cut some stencils on this day, but sometimes you just have to go with the flow and let it happen. So I used portfolios, rubber stamps, acrylic paint, distress ink, cut out more butterflies and thought I was done. But it needed something more so I found and added a quote that seemed to fit. I really like how it turned out. I definitely surprised myself with this one, it just happened. Love it when it does!

1 comment:

  1. I really like your journal pages and the ideas on making your own stencils are great. I think I shall have a go! Thank you for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete